Forum • Svatorai

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Questions upon learning the language
Adora_Mill
Palikausu
Post Re: Questions upon learning the language
on: December 4, 2016, 09:26

Wa’paitaren oT'Prion...

T'Prion
on: December 5, 2016, 05:47

Malating oAdora

Dif-tor heh smusma

Adora_Mill
Palikausu
on: November 19, 2017, 08:03

Dear oT’Prion, I’m trying to find body parts in Vulcan and stumbled around “Adam’s apple”. My friend, oSevik, suggested the following:
“The adam’s apple I could not find as a direct translation in VLD or VLI. It’s found at the neck, so it could involve talu. 
> We could try and combine a word to it, either one that goes with the English “apple” - so we could try and pick a Vulcan fruit/vegetable (VLI)- something to eat that is round? Maybe? Sadly I don’t know the shapes of these food-items.
> Or we could try and add something which stands for its protrusion? (The VLD does not have the word protrusion, but it does have “lump”.)
f.e.: talu-kad (lit. “neck-bump”)
> Or we could add a word representing its firmness?
f.e.: lerash-talu (lit. “hard-neck”)”

I find both variants appropriate, but we’re interested in a professional view. How would you translate “Adam’s apple” into Vulcan? Thank you.

T'Prion
on: November 20, 2017, 04:36

I had a look at other possible names of the Adam’s Apple and it seems that the more technical name of it is laryngeal prominence- there is no Vulcan word for prominence but at this point I would use either kad or lerash. The word for larynx is shi’spes so the translation could be kad-shi’spes or lerash-shi’spes. I would probably lean towards kad-shi’spes as I find it a bit more precise.
I hope this helps. I believe that Vulcan Language is made even more interesting as it often requires much creativity to translate certain words!

Dif-tor heh smusma

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.31.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.

Comments are closed.